In Describe an invention that has changed how people live Cue Card, you should say:
- What it is?
- How has it changed people’s lives?
- What benefits did it bring?
- Explain why it is more important for older or younger people?
Here are the band 7+ sample answers to Describe an invention that has changed how people live IELTS Speaking Cue Card:
Sample Answer 1
Introducing an invention
- There is a never-ending list of scientific inventions that have changed the life around us.
- Whether it’s booking a car from an app, or simply logging in to work remotely from home; life has changed significantly in the last decade.
- So here I would love to talk about my favourite invention which has truly transformed the way people live today.
What it is?
- So one of the biggest game-changer inventions to date that we don’t hear quite enough about in the digital space is Google Maps.
- Anyone with an internet and a smartphone know how crucial its features can be.
- For me, Google maps have been my saviour in many ways.
How has it changed people’s lives?
- If we talk about times before the digital era, travelling across borders was usually met with a lot of stress and robust pre-planning.
- Thanks to the evolution of digital maps, people’s lives have become simpler.
- Now we can easily travel to distant places without needing to stop to ask for directions.
What benefits did it bring?
- Like any navigation app, Google Maps uses the GPS location on your phone to determine where in the world you are. Every time you navigate somewhere, your location is stored in your profile.
- This enables the user to check out visits he made, places he travelled to, and the exact route he took.
- You can even see how long it took you to get there. Moreover, you can check where you were on this day five years ago.
- In addition, the Maps offered by Google point out the shortest route so that we could reach our destination in the least possible time.
- These are some benefits of having this smart invention on our phones.
Explain why it is more important for older or younger people?
- Google Maps acts as both a search engine to find the business users are searching for, and then as a map to direct users to that location.
- It’s specifically helpful for younger people to drive customers to their business location and thereby help in sales.
- Mobile maps can assist older adults to navigate independently, avail city facilities, and exploring new places.
- Unquestionably, Google Maps has transformed the simplicity with which older or younger people can travel – whether by car, boat, airline, rail, motorcycle, or foot.
Concluding the Cue Card
In the end, I would just like to say that a world without Google Maps is hard to imagine.
Sample Answer 2
Science has always been a part of our lives. Almost everything in life hinges around scientific inventions in some form. Today, though, I’d want to discuss a technology that has dramatically altered how people live today.
The Internet is the invention I’m referring to. It has transformed the way we communicate today. We can communicate with anyone, at any time and from any location. Nothing appears to be too far. Furthermore, the internet has made it much easier to stay in touch with our loved ones. Life has become more frantic as communication has become quicker.
However, the Internet’s significance extends beyond communication. It has had a significant impact on how we purchase, learn, and look for health remedies. We may enjoy every luxury from the comfort of our own homes.
On the other hand, there have been some drawbacks to this invention. In some respects, the internet has fostered hostility in society. People spread fake news on the internet, which can lead to communal conflict.
Overall, I believe the Internet has changed the way we live our lives.
Following are the probable Describe an invention that has changed how people live follow up questions that may be asked by the examiner in Speaking Part-3 of the test:
1. How has technology made our life easier?
The scientific inventions have made life easier in every way, from keeping people linked to storing data, making information available, and improving data security to end-to-end encryption. All of this is made possible by technology. Everything is now at our fingertips thanks to technological improvements, making life more fun and convenient.
In various ways, many technologies have made our lives easier. However, most technologies reduce our labour and save us valuable time, so greatly improving our quality of life. They also reduce our reliance on others by allowing us to do everything on our own.
2. Which invention do you think is the most useful at home?
Technology plays a pivotal role in our day-to-day life. I think inventions like a vacuum cleaner, microwave and outdoor security cameras are some of the most useful at home.
It’s difficult for me to choose just one invention. It completely depends on the individual and their intended purpose. Dishwashers, for example, are really useful to me because I am in charge of washing dishes in my home. Because she is in charge of cleaning, my mother’s solution may be the vacuum cleaner.
3. Is it more difficult for old people to accept new technologies?
I think seniors often struggle with reduced reactivity, and hence making it harder to keep up with new fast-paced technology.
I believe that change is difficult for everyone, and that the difficulty increases with age because the length of time we spend getting used to anything grows with age. Rather than seeing it as a problem, I believe we should focus on ways to make it easier for our elders to accept them.
4. What can be done to help old people learn to make use of new technologies?
Though there is still a significant digital divide between younger and older generations, there are many things that can be done to make use of new technology as easy as pie. For instance, showing older individuals the benefits of technology is the most effective way to educate them. Show them how to use their smartphones or tablets to view images of their grandchildren. Show them how simple it is to contact a friend or cousin they haven’t seen in years using FaceTime or Skype. Or assist them in sending a text or email and see their faces light up when they receive a response in seconds or minutes.
There are several actions that can be taken to encourage the use of new technologies. To begin, these huge technology businesses can host seminars in which elderly people can learn how to use cutting-edge technology. When my mother first bought a laptop, she was offered a free two-hour training on how to use it for the entire week. She knew a lot of things that I didn’t by the end of the week. Second, family members can help their parents and grandparents when they are in need.
5. Will our life be better if we live without technology？
Human life without technology is like birds without feathers. A life without technology might trigger an existential crisis for many.
Technology has improved our lives in a variety of ways, but it has also presented a number of new challenges. Life would certainly be easier, but not necessarily better. Furthermore, I feel we have become so accustomed to technology that the idea of not having it is inconceivable.
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Describe an invention that has changed how people live IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during the exam, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalize your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !