[7+] Describe a popular/well-known person in your country IELTS Cue-Card
Last updated on April 13th, 2023 at 08:06 am
In Describe a popular/well-known person in your country Cue Card, you should say:
- Who this person is?
- What he/she has done?
- Why he/she is popular?
- Explain how you feel about this person?
Here are the band 7+ sample answers to Describe a popular/well-known person in your country IELTS Speaking Cue Card:
Sample Answer 1
Introducing a popular/well-known person
India has produced countless popular personalities over the period of time. Today, I would be more than happy to talk about a well-known person who has been my idol since childhood.
Who this person is?
- The famous person is none other than Mr Ratan Tata. He is the Chairman of Tata Sons and Tata Group. At the age of 74, Tata heads one of the country’s largest conglomerates which comprises nearly 100 firms with revenues totalling about USD 70 billion.
- Tata was born on December 28, 1937, into one of Mumbai’s wealthiest families. Jamsedji Tata, the Tata group’s founder, was his grandpa.
- The Tata scion was captivated by America, and he attended Cornell University to study architecture and structural engineering. Later, he attended Harvard University for a management course.
What he/she has done?
- He joined the Tata Group in 1962, and his first position was with the Tata Steel division in Jamshedpur, where he worked with blue-collar workers shovelling stone and operating furnaces.
- Mr Ratan Tata rose through the ranks of Tata Industries to become Chairman and was a driving force behind a slew of reforms. Tata Consultancy Services went public during his leadership, and Tata Motors was listed on the New York Stock Exchange, giving it greater international strength and prestige.
- It was also during his tenure that the company witnessed the launch of India’s first truly Indian car, ‘Indica’. The car was the brainchild of Mr Ratan Tata.
- Besides this, He has also served on the international advisory boards of Mitsubishi Corporation, the American International Group, JP Morgan Chase, Rolls Royce, Temasek Holdings and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Why he/she is popular?
- Mr Tata is particularly popular for his good deeds and contribution to society. He has a personal fortune of £300 million and owns less than 1% of the colossal group. In fact, over two-thirds of Tata Group is owned by charitable trusts that finance good causes.
- Ratan Tata set a perfect example of generosity and leadership during the 26/11 attacks. Unarmed he stood all alone outside the Taj hotel and supervised the activities to help the victims.
- In the year 2000, he was honoured with Padma Bhushan by the government of India.
Explain how you feel about this person?
- I feel that Mr Tata is a very simple and down-to-earth person. Someone who does not believe in throwing his weight around.
- Ratan Tata is one of the country’s most successful businesspeople. His ideals are the one thing that sets him apart from other business people. While conducting business, he prioritises kindness and sensitivity.
Concluding the Cue Card
Tata, who is a bachelor in real life, values privacy and avoids the limelight. Only CDs, books, and pets keep him company. In an unassuming Tata sedan, the business baron drives himself to work.
Sample Answer 2
India, in my perspective, is a celebrity-filled country. Because we have the world’s second-largest population, we have a great number of well-known people. In India, the bulk of well-known people are actors, cricketers, or politicians.
Today, I’d want to talk about a sportsperson that has inspired millions of people, including myself, in our country. Virat Kohli is a professional cricketer. He bats with his right hand. He is only 34 years old, but he is one of India’s greatest cricketers.
In all three formats of cricket, including One Day Internationals, Test Cricket, and Twenty20 matches, he bats first. He was also rated one of the world’s most famous athletes by Forbes Magazine. One of his most illustrious achievements was leading the Indian Under-19 team to World Cup glory. He debuted for India at the age of 19, and he hasn’t looked back since, shattering countless records. Virat presently holds the second-highest number of international centuries in the game, trailing only Sachin Tendulkar.
He plays with a lot of aggression, has a winning attitude, and is very dedicated to the game. I think that he exemplifies the proverb “hard effort is the key to success”. Many people are unaware that Kohli’s father died while playing for his state team in a test match, but Virat continued to bat and only arranged for his father’s cremation after saving his team from defeat.
Apart from athletics, Virat Kohli devotes the majority of his time to charity through his foundation, which strives to promote disadvantaged children’s education and healthcare. He married Anushka Sharma, a well-known Bollywood actress, a few years ago. They got married in Italy, and it was one of the biggest weddings of the year.
So this was all about my idol Virat Kohli, who I believed to be the most appropriate person to be discussed in this cue card.
Sample Answer 3
My country, India, has been fortunate enough to be home to a number of well-known individuals, ranging from world-class athletes to world-famous scientists, who have helped to make “India” great. Today, I’d like to discuss one such notable guy, who is also known as India’s “missile man.”
Mr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam is the man in question. Born in 1931 to a Muslim family in Tamil Nadu, India, the brilliant man went on to study physics and aerospace engineering before becoming probably India’s most famous nuclear scientist.
This great scientist, who was also a politician at the time, offered India one of its most significant and essential advances in “military technology” by creating ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programmes. This world-famous scientist went on to become India’s president.
I’d want to pay attention to this great guy in particular, especially because, despite his extraordinary achievements, he was a really basic and easygoing individual. Mr. Kalam, a man of many values, determination, self-mastery, and remarkable scientific aptitude, was an inspiration to millions around the world. This gem of a great leader was born into a modest background and worked his way to great achievement.
In terms of beneficial changes, he has devoted his entire life to his homeland. Mr Kalam not only paved the way for India’s nuclear and missile defence programmes, but he also encouraged Indian automakers to improve car technology in order to “triple” their production and efficiency. This wonderful man was also interested in his country’s youth, encouraging them to learn in a positive manner.
His message to India’s young instilled in them a new sense of self-assurance. In reality, many of his motivational publications and lectures continue to resonate throughout Indian towns and villages, always motivating both youth and adults by declaring “I can do it.” We’ve got this. India is capable of achieving its goals.” This remarkable guy continues to inspire millions!
Following are the probable Describe a popular/well-known person in your country follow up questions that may be asked by the examiner in Speaking Part-3 of the test:
1. What are the qualities of being popular?
Someone who is popular is someone who is loved by others. He should come across as friendly and approachable to others. He should be considerate and helpful. Plus, he should pay attention and try to set a good example.
Being popular demands being sincere and honest. Nobody likes a phoney. People are drawn to real people because they know they can trust them. It’s impossible to like someone when you have no idea who they are or how they feel.
2. Do you know any popular star who likes helping other people?
Many celebrities support philanthropic organisations or even form their own. Salman Khan’s “Being Human” foundation accomplishes a lot of good.
Stars from Taylor Swift to Ian Somerhalder to Angelina Jolie regularly take time out of their busy schedules to do good, lending their star power to a variety of important causes. They’ve performed for ill children at various hospitals across the country and donated funds to those in need.
3. Do you think children should imitate their idols?
It’s not a question of whether they should or not. We have to embrace the fact that they will always imitate. As a result, celebrities are expected to be good role models and to achieve things that are worthy of imitation.
If they serve as positive role models. It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that the people their children watch and idolise are good role models. Not only are they good at the game, but they’re also good people. There are a lot of nasty people out there, and we need to make sure our children don’t follow in their footsteps.
4. What influence do popular stars have on teenagers?
Teenagers desire to be like the celebrities they admire. They look up to them as a god. They are both positively and negatively effected. Teenagers will buy a product merely because it is endorsed by a well-known celebrity, even if they do not require it. If their favourite celebrity is doing something good, teenagers will go out and aid the less fortunate.
5. Do you think popular stars have more freedom or less freedom?
I don’t think popular celebrities have more freedom. They are constantly chased by paparazzi wherever they go and it is considered legitimate by most people. They are held accountable for every tweet they post, every photo they publish on social media, every joke they make and even more, the newspapers make articles about them. Those insignificant tweets make news!
Join our IELTS community: Subscribe our Youtube channel ▷
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Describe a popular/well-known person in your country IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during the exam, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalise your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !