In Describe a time when you changed your opinion IELTS Speaking cue card, you’ll be asked to speak about a time when you changed your thoughts about something. You should say:
|☑️ When it was?|
☑️ What the original opinion was?
☑️ Why you changed it?
☑️ Explain how you felt about it?
NOTE – You have one minute to think about what you are going to say, then you’ll have to talk about the topic for one-to-two minutes. A paper and a pencil will be given so that you can make some notes if you wish.
For easier understanding, I’ve divided this IELTS Speaking Cue Card Describe a time when you changed your opinion into three parts – Introduction, relevant Questions, and Conclusion.
I think changing one’s opinion is really hard for some people.
• But I think it is much better than staying stagnant and being obstinate and stubborn.
• I have changed my opinion about different things.
• But I don’t do it easily.
• I change my opinion only when I am presented with or I come across a logic, which I find factually correct and which contradicts with my previous beliefs.
When it was?
An opinion I changed a few years ago was the about relevance of history.
• In my childhood, I strongly believed that studying history was a waste of time.
What the original opinion was?
It doesn’t teach us anything and it actually takes away time from subjects like science and math, which are really useful.
• But when I entered 10th grade, my history teacher opened my eyes to the wonderful world of history.
• She related each historical event with a situation at present.
• She told us how by reading history or analyzing history, policy makers and administrators could better handle a particular situation.
• We can lead a lot of better lives if pay attention to history.
Why you changed it?
She also threw light on our common Indian traditions and their origins in history.
• It made me realize traditions are much more than just superficial customs practiced for pleasing elders.
Explain how you felt about it?
Some traditions actually have scientific backing for example water is stored in copper vessels as the copper ions dissolve in water and purify the ions.
• With each class my interest in history and my opinion about history being useless, changed.
In the end, I just tell you that … Now rather than opposing history education, I ardently support it.
Following are the probable set of IELTS Speaking Part-3 follow up questions that could be asked in Describe a time when you changed your opinion cue card:
Do children like to change opinion?
I think they do but it is hard for them. I think children are more emotional than adults and this means that they form opinion based on emotions. Emotional decisions in turn are very hard to change because it hurts our ego when we change them.
Why do people change opinion?
People change opinion when they find contradicting evidence against their previously held opinion. If they don’t change, they suffer from guilt and thus although they may resist at first, they slowly do change.
Who do young people turn to for advice?
I think young people mainly turn to family or figures of authority like teachers and school counsellors for advice. Some youth also turn to their peers for suggestions. Whom they turn to for advice depends upon the matter concerned and the decisions relevance in their lives.
Do people like giving opinion about politics?
Indian people are very opinionated when it comes to politics and they are not shy in expressing their beliefs as well. And I think this is good because this means people are politically active and they are thinking about governments decisions and policies. This also means they put a value on their vote.
I hope you learnt well about how to answer Describe a time when you changed your opinion [IELTS Cue Card]. It is advised not to reproduce the same answer during examination, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and make it look like your personal answer.
If you like this post, please say a few words in the comments and empower us.
We’d love to hear your thoughts💬
Disclosure: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we’ll receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. These links help us to offset the costs of running this website. Thanks for understanding!
Full list of IELTS Speaking September to December 2021 cue cards is now available on our website.
Other cue cards you may like :
- Describe a person who impressed you the most when you were in primary school [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a person who helps others in his or her spare time [IELTS cue card]
- Describe a good service you received [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a place you visited on vacation [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a bicycle/motorcycle/car trip you would like to go on [IELTS Cue Card]