Last updated on February 26th, 2022 at 03:36 am
|☑️ When you moved?|
☑️ Where you moved?
☑️ Why you moved?
☑️ How you felt about it?
Find all the latest Cue Cards here: IELTS Speaking Cue Cards (Jan-Apr 2022) ↗
NOTE – You have one minute to think about what you are going to say, then you’ll have to talk about the topic for one-to-two minutes. A paper and a pencil will be given so that you can make some notes if you wish.
For easier understanding, I have divided this IELTS Speaking Cue Card into three sub-topics – Introduction, Questions, and Conclusion.
Few years back, my grandparents moved in with us from the village.
• Their health was deteriorating because of old age, and they were feeling very lonely in the village. My father found it very difficult to take care of them and focus on his work at the same time.
• So, he requested grandpa and grandma to come live with us.
When you moved?
We moved 5 years ago.
Where you moved?
We moved to a nearby town.
Why you moved?
We had a small two-bedroom house at that time, and it was insufficient for the six of us to live in the house.
• We adjusted for a while, but ultimately my dad decided to rent a four-bedroom house about 5 kilometres meters from our old house.
• Our last house was rental as well and despite the difference in size, there wasn’t much difference in the rent between the two houses.
• Maybe it was because the house we shifted to was quite old.
How you felt about it?
I had mixed feelings about the whole experience.
• On the one hand, I was very happy that I would be getting my own room and decor it the way I wanted to.
• On the other hand, the house we shifted to wasn’t as comfortable as the old one.
• There was no air-conditioning in my room. So, it got very hot during the day, and I was barely able to stay in the room during the day.
• But, at night, as the temperature came down, I was able to sleep in the room.
• Moreover, I missed my old neighbours and friends.
• There were many children of my age in my previous neighbourhood.
• In the new community, there was hardly anyone my age.
• It got very boring.
• My parents were afraid of sending me too far to my old neighbourhood to play.
• But, on a positive note, this meant that I spent more time with my grandparents, which improved my bond with them.
I still reminisce about that old house sometimes, but I don’t regret moving to the new house.
• Actually, I am very happy that my parents made that sacrifice for taking better care of my grandparents.
Following are the probable set of IELTS Speaking Part-3 follow up questions that could be asked in Describe a time you moved to a new home/school cue card:
Why do people move to a new home?
There are many reasons why people move to a new home. But, most commonly people move for job, education. In other words, people move when they get a job or join an educational institute, which is too far for them to commute daily. Another big reason is marriage or because of children. This is because either they want independence and privacy or because their earlier house might be too small to accommodate the growing family.
What problems do people face after moving to a new place? How do people solve these problems?
I think it depends upon the place they are moving to. For example, if they are moving to a new place with a different culture, they might face a culture shock. Another problem is getting to know neighbours and making new friends. People solve these problems by having a housewarming party to invite new neighbours and get to know them.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in the same place?
It is comfortable to live in the same place for a long time. As people are familiar with everything, they don’t need to spend time setting up things again and again. On the other hand, it gets boring and monotonous to live in the same place.
Is it good to move to a new place frequently? Why?
I don’t think it is good to move to a new place too frequently. Firstly, it might be challenging to do so financially. Moving involves a lot of expenses. Secondly, it might be difficult to make new friends and people might miss their old place. Finally, from a children’s point of view, it can be disastrous as it would affect their educational continuity.
Find the whole list of latest topics: IELTS Speaking Part-1 Topics (Jan-Apr 2022) ↗
I hope you learnt well about how to answer Describe a time you moved to a new home/school [IELTS Cue Card]. It is advised not to reproduce the same answer during examination, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and make it look like your personal answer.
If you like this post, please say a few words in the comments and empower us.
We’d love to hear your thoughts💬
Disclosure: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we’ll receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. These links help us to offset the costs of running this website. Thanks for understanding!
Full list of IELTS Speaking Sep-Dec 2021 cue cards is now available on our website.
Other cue cards you may like :
- Describe a difficult thing you did [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a time when you felt proud of a family member [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a skill that was difficult for you to learn [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe an activity that you usually do that wastes your time [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe an item on which you spent more than expected [IELTS Cue Card]