Last updated on March 20th, 2022 at 01:10 pm
In Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like IELTS Speaking cue card, you’ll be asked to speak about a time when you show friendship with someone you didn’t like much. You should say:
|☑️ When and where it happened?|
☑️ Who he/she was?
☑️ Why you didn’t like this person?
☑️ Explain why you were friendly to him/her on that occasion?
NOTE – You have one minute to think about what you are going to say, then you’ll have to talk about the topic for one-to-two minutes. A paper and a pencil will be given so that you can make some notes if you wish.
Find all the latest Cue Cards here: IELTS Speaking Makkar Cue Cards (Jan-Apr 2022) ↗
For easier understanding, I’ve divided this IELTS Speaking Cue Card Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like into three sub-topics – Introduction, relevant Questions, and Conclusion.
During childhood, I had a classmate, Rajesh, who was very full of himself.
• He always used to make others feel like they were inferior to him.
• That’s why, during schooldays, I tried to avoid him as much as I could.
When and where it happened?
However, around one month before the final exams for 9th standard, he met with an accident.
• He missed a lot of classes as a result.
• So, after recovering, he asked a few of us if we could teach him what he missed.
Who he/she was?
As I said, He was my classmate.
Why you didn’t like this person?
No one in the class helped him because of his attitude.
• The next day, my mother overheard me telling one of my friends how Rajesh deserved it.
• After hearing this, she told me that regardless of his past attitude I should help him.
• I was reluctant at first, but I listened to my mother.
• I called him and told him that I will sit with him an hour after class every day till the exams.
Explain why you were friendly to him/her on that occasion?
During these study sessions, I got to know him better.
• I got to know that rather than being arrogant, he was actually very humble.
• He was just not a good communicator.
• His choice of words was a major reason for him coming off as rude and arrogant.
• He knew people didn’t like him, but he was oblivious about the reason for it.
• After the exams, I started inviting him to my home along with my other friends.
• As they got to know him better, they also became good friends with him.
• Till now, we are all good friends and meet each other often.
• Recently, I asked mom why she made me help him.
• She told me that it was the right thing to do.
In the end, I’d just like to tell you that..
Helping our friends doesn’t make us kind, helping people we don’t like is the actual kindness.
• Because it is done without any real expectation.
Following are the probable set of IELTS Speaking Part-3 follow up questions that could be asked in Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like cue card:
Why are people friendly with the person they don’t like?
I think the main reason is that they do not want the person to know that they don’t like him/her. People feel they might need a favour from the person in the future and if the person knows that they don’t like him/her, he or she won’t help them.
What kinds of people are usually friendly?
You may consider me naive, but I honestly believe that majority of the people in the world are really friendly. I also believe that people in rural areas tend to be friendlier than urban areas, but that is just because of the fast-paced and stressful life in cities.
What are the differences between being friendly and polite?
I think politeness is about words while being friendly is about our actions. I can decline something politely, but I wouldn’t consider myself friendly if I did so.
What do you think about people who are always straightforward?
I think these people are actually the best people in the world for one can always expect an honest answer from them. However, I also believe that it is nearly impossible to be straightforward all the time.
Find the whole list of latest topics: IELTS Speaking Part-1 Topics (Jan-Apr 2022) ↗
I hope you learnt well about how to answer Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like [IELTS Cue Card]. It is advised not to reproduce the same answer during examination, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and make it look like your personal answer.
If you like this post, please say a few words in the comments and empower us🧡
We’d love to hear your thoughts💬
Other cue cards you may like :
- Describe a time you got up early [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe an exciting book that you enjoy reading [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a café you like to visit [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a person who solved a problem in a smart way [IELTS Cue Card]
- Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about [IELTS Cue Card]