In Talk about a special day which was not that expensive Cue Card, you should say:
- What was the occasion?
- Where did you go?
- Who did you celebrate with?
- Why it was not that expensive?
Here are the band 7+ sample answers to Talk about a special day which was not that expensive IELTS Speaking Cue Card:
Sample Answer 1
Introducing a special day
- In a country like India, we enjoy plenty of festival days and special events.
- From lavish weddings to cheap, inexpensive buffets at local restaurants; my country has everything.
- But today, I would happily take this opportunity to talk about an extraordinary day which was easy on the pocketbook.
What was the occasion?
- Here, I am referring to Black Friday.
- Black Friday is a “spectacular” shopping day that begins the holiday season with higher-than-usual spiffs and deals on products.
- Families across the world plan their entire year for this one day of unbelievable savings opportunities.
Where did you go?
- So we went to the Elante Mall, located in Industrial Area Phase-1, Chandigarh.
- The mall was crowded. People were standing in a queue, waiting for their turn to come.
- For once, I thought like, everyone in the city is here.
- The doors were opened and in less than a minute the store was filled to capacity.
Who did you celebrate with?
- I planned for this day two weeks in advance and took Shrishti, my younger sister in confidence.
- She helped me find the household goods with the best offers and discounts. So we celebrated the joy of getting doorbuster deals together.
- The celebrations lasted for one whole week in November and as such, we made multiple visits to the store.
Why it was not that expensive?
- The shopping day was largely not that expensive because of my proper planning.
- I laid down a list of everything we need at home. I asked my mother, father, elder brother and grandpa about the things they wanted.
- So I went straight to the aisles where the products were shelved and avoided any impulse buying.
- I was personally trying to get the laptop they had on sale, it was super cheap.
- My sister brought her nail paints and fashion accessories at prices never heard of. One-by-one we filled our cart according to the list.
- And then we head on to the billing desk. There was no end to my joy when I heard about the exclusive cashback offers running on HDFC Credit Cards.
- I managed to get my card renewed from the bank just a week before. So I swiped the card and got 20% cashback on the total billing amount, in addition to other complementary offers.
Concluding the Cue Card
- For those that can’t afford things normally, Black Friday is about getting that big flatscreen that you’ve been staring at in the stores but never had the money for it.
- So overall, it was a mindblowing day which was not that expensive.
Sample Answer 2
Life is an emotional roller coaster. Some days are dark and awful, while others are extremely special. Birthdays, Weddings, and Anniversaries are special occasions that provide meaning to our existence on this world. So today I’d want to tell about an affordable special day in my life.
I’m referring to the day I organised a birthday celebration for my cousin at a newly opened restaurant in our hometown. It was his 30th birthday, and all of his pals had come to him for a surprise. My cousin is really near to my heart, so his birthday means a lot to me.
I decided to take them to a new restaurant because we had tried all of the major eateries in our town. I watched a commercial on TV for a new jungle-themed restaurant that had recently opened in our city. Big Jumanji Café was the name of the eatery.
As a result, I instantly called the café and made a reservation for 12 people, taking advantage of the early-bird special of 600 Rs per person. Which is significantly less expensive!!
We arrived there at 8:00 p.m. The furnishings of the café astounded/amazed us as soon as we walked in. Tree leaves were used to decorate the walls. The tan furnishings gave us the impression that we were enjoying a picnic in the forest. Sweet animal sounds were playing in the background.
After that, we ordered some lunch, and the waiters also delivered a surprise birthday cake that I had pre-ordered. When the bill arrived, everyone was perplexed as to how such good service could be so cheap.
That day was enjoyable and definitely a memorable occasion that was reasonably priced.
Following are the probable Talk about a special day which was not that expensive follow up questions that may be asked by the examiner in Speaking Part-3 of the test:
1. Do teenagers spend much more money than before?
Yes, I concur with this thought that teens today spend extravagantly on things. Earlier, the avenues of shopping were limited but now they’ve exploded at every nook and corner. Moreover, online shopping has made them Super teens to shop for anything at any time. Which was not the case in the past. That’s why, more spending opportunities put more on the line for teenagers than before.
2. How can people save money as much as possible?
Setting a goal is one of the most effective strategies to save money as much as possible. Begin by considering what you might want to save for in the short (one to two years) and long term (three or more years). Then calculate how much money you’ll need and how long you’ll need to save it. In addition, there are many savings and investment schemes available. Look carefully at all the avenues and consider investing under least risk options.
3. Did you ever have a bad shopping experience?
Last year, I had a horrible experience with Snapdeal, I ordered a lot of clothing pieces from them and they turned out to be of a different material instead of cotton and I had to call them endlessly but all were in vain.
4. Why is online shopping so popular these days?
When you compare online and offline shopping, you will notice that internet shopping is more convenient because you can do it from your office, home, or even while on vacation. You can also shop at any time of day or night, including at midnight. That’s why e-commerce is trending nowadays.
5. Do you think you can buy something from a physical store without money?
Ideally, you can not buy anything from a physical store without paying for it. But there are some big supermarkets like Big Bazaar and Reliance that offer loyalty vouchers to their customers. So once in a while, you can make use of loyalty vouchers to foot your shopping bills without needing to pay hard currency.
Yes, teens spend far more money than in the past since average family income has increased. Furthermore, because there are nuclear families nowadays, parents like to fulfil their children’s demands, and in order to make them happy, they give them more pocket money to spend.
Nowadays, there are numerous ways to save money. People can put their money into the government’s small savings schemes. They can also set aside a portion of their monthly earnings to save for the future.
Fortunately, I’ve never had a horrible shopping experience, but a friend of mine was taken advantage of by a vehicle salesman who sold him a used car rather than a new one. My friend noticed this after a week when he washed his car and discovered old plastic bottles behind the seats. He then complained to the car business and received a replacement car one month later.
Online shopping is popular these days since it offers clients a lot of convenience and better cost. People can order anything while sitting in the comfort of their own homes, and they also save a lot of money when they buy online vs in brick and mortar establishments.
Well, it’s an interesting topic, because I recently learned of a system called Amazon Go, in which you can simply stroll into a store, select the items you require, and carry them away in your bag, with money instantly removed from your account. I saw a video of this technology on YouTube and believe it will gain popularity in the future.
SOME RECENTLY ASKED CUE CARDS:
Join our IELTS community: Subscribe our Youtube channel ▷
FREE STUDY MATERIAL TO ACHIEVE BAND 7+ IN IELTS:
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Talk about a special day which was not that expensive IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during the exam, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalise your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !