Last updated on March 8th, 2022 at 05:29 am
In Describe a thing you did to learn another language IELTS Speaking cue card, you should say:
- What language you learned?
- What you did?
- How it helped you learn the language?
- How you felt about it?
9 Band Answer
Let’s dive into the ‘Describe a thing you did to learn another language’ IELTS cue card (2022) with Band 7-9 sample answers & Follow up questions:
Introducing a thing you did
Language learning is a fun and insightful experience. Several things can be done to effectively learn another language. So today, I’ll be talking about my personal experience of learning a foreign language.
What language you learned?
What you did?
The first thing I did was to read some stories of people who successfully learnt the language. Then, I made a timetable to devote at least half an hour every day to learning French. My elder sibling is a proficient French speaker, so he suggested installing the Memrise app on my smartphone. I also went through the list of the 100 most used phrases in that language and practised them with my brother. Moreover, I subscribed to Netflix just for the sake of learning french through movies.
How it helped you learn the language?
The things I did help me a lot to gain some level of proficiency in the French language. For instance, with the timetable, I was able to stay organized throughout the process. Similarly, Memrise is a brilliant mobile application that has plenty of short courses. These courses helped me move from beginner to advanced in a span of 8 months period. Last but not least, French drama shows like Les Chalet blended entertainment with learning.
How you felt about it?
Learning a language can be overwhelming at first. But I feel that if we stick to our plan things can be pretty easy. The whole journey was exciting and full of challenges. I felt a growing pleasure with every step because I could use a string of words or sounds that was previously completely unknown.
Concluding the cue card
In the end, I would say that the French accent is to die for. It’s that beautiful language. If I had to choose between English or a French accent, it will be French every time.
7-8 Band Answer
- I began learning German in 2020. During COVID, I had nothing else to do. So I picked up German for fun.
- I feel that learning a language allows us to understand different societies, cultures and feelings.
- My uncle who is living in Amsterdam has told me that he learned German in a year.
- I thought he was fortunate to have language schools in his neighbourhood.
- However, I was amazed to hear that all he did was downloading Duolingo.
- He truly adored the mobile application and talked about the tiny 5-minute every day courses for beginners.
- So I simply followed his foot-steps. I downloaded the Duolingo application on my cellphone.
- I was so intrigued with this application and surprised to see so many things in a free course.
- It had a total of 25 short sessions for beginners who just started learning German.
- It had a basic user interface, and it was exceptionally simple to record my sound and check pronunciation.
- I was actually confused between learning French and German. However, I chose German because of the stylish accent.
- German is the fifth most commonly spoken language worldwide.
- So, my uncle was of great help to rehearse German on the web.
- I began doing language courses with full throttle after a week. I listened to the German songs while driving to my office.
- In addition, German shows on Amazon Prime also supported my learning.
- Likewise, it was fun rehearsing on a daily basis.
- Duolingo also gives access to find hundreds of language partners. In fact, I made many friends during the course.
- I am pleased with my learning until this point. I am hoping to become conversant in German within this year.
IELTS Speaking Part-3 Describe a thing you did to learn another language follow up questions with band 9 answers:
1. What difficulties do people face when learning a language?
Learning another language is one of the most difficult tasks a person can do. Some difficulties that people generally face are learning alphabets, hesitation in speaking, problems with grammar, poor vocabulary, or simply lack of motivation.
2. Do you think language learning is important? Why?
Learning a new language improves memory. It encourages your mind to learn new grammatical and language rules. It allows you to hone your memory by teaching it to memorise new vocabulary, draw connections between different words, and apply them in context. Therefore, language learning is very essential for human development.
3. Which is better, study alone or to study in a group? Why?
Studying alone has more significant benefits because it minimizes distraction, allows you to pace yourself, and can improve your focus. You can take breaks whenever you feel overwhelmed, or even study at a speed that suits you. While in a group study, if there is one person that is extremely distracted or too noisy, the whole group will suffer.
4. What’s the best way to learn a language?
The single best way to learn another language is probably just to listen more and talk more. TV is a great teacher when it comes to learning a language through listening. In addition, apps like Meetup host several online chat rooms to practice another language. It can be a great place to practice your vocabulary while making friends on the way.
Describe a thing you did to learn another language Follow-up (7 bands)
|1. What difficulties do people face when learning a language?||The phonological contrast is one of the challenges. There are a few sounds in one language that do not exist in the other. Another issue is learning the new language’s grammar and sentence structure.|
|2. Do you think language learning is important? Why?||Indeed, I believe that language learning is important because it develops skills such as correspondence and social awareness. Learning a foreign language also opens up a slew of career opportunities. Learning new dialects causes an intellectual shift. Bilingual and multilingual children excel in a variety of subjects.|
|3. Which is better, study alone or to study in a group? Why?||Studying in a group is indeed more effective because:|
1) Students get energy from being around different students and are inspired to study.
2) Concepts that are difficult to grasp without the help of others become more clear when viewed through the eyes of others.
3) People usually take their time when concentrating alone, but in a group, everyone is responsible and should be available.
|4. What’s the best way to learn a language?||There are numerous ways of learning a language. Firstly, one should do a mix of things to get conversant in a language like rehearsing every day on language learning apps like Memrise or Duolingo, watching foreign documentaries, reading books and newspapers in another language, finding a language partner online to rehearse with, or simply travel to that country.|
Find all the latest Cue Cards here: IELTS Speaking Cue Cards (Jan-Apr 2022) ↗
Find the latest Topics here: IELTS Speaking Part-1 Topics (Jan-Apr 2022)↗
Join our IELTS community: Subscribe our Youtube channel ▷
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Describe a thing you did to learn another language IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during a speaking examination, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalise your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !