- What gift you would like to buy?
- Who you would like to give it to?
- Why you would like to buy a gift for him/her?
- Explain why you think it is very interesting?
Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend IELTS Cue Card
Let’s dive into ‘Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend’ IELTS cue card (2022) with Band 8+ sample answer & Follow up questions:
Model Answer 1:
Gift giving is an act of self-gratification. And… if you are in a friendship or a complicated relationship, there’s no better way to say you still care than sending something special.
Here, I would love to describe a surprise that I would keen to buy for my bosom friend.
What gift you would like to buy?
- Well, the thing I would like to buy is a piece of literature (a book) titled ‘Who moved my cheese’.
- It’s written by Dr. Spencer Johnson – a distinguished author.
- ‘Who moved my cheese’ is a self-help book that talks about amazing ways to deal with changes in personal as well as professional lives.
- I must tell you that, the book is so relatable that any ordinary man can connect his life with the characters in the story.
Who you would like to give it to?
- Her name is Shreya, who is going to get this gift. We have been in a friendship for about 2 years.
- She is a wonderful computer programmer and an established entrepreneur.
- Shreya is currently seeking capital for her new venture related to environment preservation in Chandigarh.
Why you would like to buy a gift for him/her?
- Firstly, She is my dearest friend and more than a family. So I care for her.
- Secondly, Being always occupied with work and having too many plates spinning at one time; she has now isolated herself from the outside world.
- That’s why, I would like to bring her a gift of her choice.
Explain why you choose that gift?
Actually there are plethora of reasons for me to choose a book over any other costly possession:
- She is an avid reader and never missed out on any Business Journals when we were in college.
- But most importantly, I realized that her professional commitments has caused her emotional exhaustion; which is resulting into depersonalisation of relationships.
- So, I think a book is the only way to get her true self back without being too offensive. The author has written some fascinating ways to balance personal & work life, and I am pretty sure she’ll find it useful.
- Also, I have decided to put up a special note inside the book to remind Shreya of her bubbly personality.
In the end, I would just tell you that …. A book might not be an ideal gift for many but when it comes to Shreya, it is a source of elevating happiness and well-being. Also Read: Describe an interesting conversation you had with your friend IELTS Cue Card
Model Answer 2:
- I have given and received plenty of gifts in my every day living.
- But here I will discuss a present, which I would want to buy for my dearest companion on his 21st birthday celebration.
- It is an apple smartwatch.
- He has for a long time needed a digital watch.
- However, his monthly finances hardly makes his both ends meet.
- So, I have saved my pocket money for a while and now I can purchase this beautiful watch.
- It will cost me north of 25,000 INR.
- As it’s an apple watch, so you know the product sells at a premium as compared to that of other brands.
- I have decided to buy the blue strap model for him.
- It has many useful applications like fitness tracker, BP monitor, and seamless telephone connectivity.
- Besides, he can utilize numerous applications on this watch to do his various errands
- Most importantly, he has a hypertension problem and I think a wearable watch that can help him check his BP at regular intervals
- So he can monitor his health and fitness with this watch.
- I saw an advertisement of this watch a year prior and quickly thought that I’d gift it to Rahul.
- I am so partial to chocolates and confections that I used to burn through the entirety of my pocket cash on these things
- However, I haven’t eaten a solitary chocolate over the most recent a half year.
- I’m truly eager to know how Rahul will respond when I gift him this watch.
- There is no doubt that everyone loves to receive a thoughtful gift and I sincerely hope that Rahul will adore my surprise. Also Read: Describe a time when you told your friend an important truth IELTS Cue Card
Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend Follow-ups
Following are the IELTS Speaking Part-3 follow up questions that could be asked in Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend cue card:
1. What is the importance of gifts?
Gifts are important to solidify a unique relationship. Giving a gift to someone we care about allows us to communicate our emotions and appreciation for them.
People say, ”actions speak louder than words”. So, there’s no better way to to re-confirm or establish our connection with others through gift giving. Moreover, you can make someone smile with something ordinary. It doesn’t need to be lavish or expensive.
2. Is there any pressure on us to buy presents?
Honestly, there is always a societal pressure while buying gifts for others. People nowadays place more value on the looks of the gift rather than feelings behind it.
Gift-giving is less about altruism, and becoming more about peer pressure to reciprocate – the expectation that when we give a gift, we will receive one in return. You know, this reciprocity does not necessarily bring pleasure.
3. Do Indian people often give gifts?
Yes, Indians frequently surprise their family and friends with beautiful gifts. Handing over a gift has become a tradition in Indian culture especially on occasions such as weddings, birthdays and silver jubilees.
Furthermore, Indian people can be commonly found giving chocolates to their companions as an expression of love and warmth towards each other.
4. What’s the value of giving presents?
It goes without saying that gift giving holds important value in personal relationships. An ordinary gift for a simple prom date may seem like a little act of kindness, but who knows, they may end up spending their lives together and it was a gift of flowers that made it possible.
5. Describe some of the gifts that Indian people give each other on different occasions?
Indians give all sorts of gifts ranging from sweets, chocolates, cakes, clothes, gadgets and even luxury cars to their friends and family members on various events like birthdays, marriages, anniversaries etc.
In fact, due to digital economic boom, Indian people can be largely seen as buying gift cards on Flipkart or Amazon to show their love for one another.
6. What kinds of gifts are suitable for friends to give each other?
Whatever is given from the heart is always good for friends or anyone. Some of the best gifts suitable for friends are cakes, sweets, soft toys, balloon decorations, a grooming kit/makeup kit, personalised mugs etc. Also, there is a variety of thoughtful gifts readily available online that friends can give each other.
7. What factors do people consider when buying a gift for friends?
There are a lot of things people think about while purchasing gifts:
- Relation: You need to bifurcate between your family and friends. You love each one of them, but yet your bond with them will not be the same.
- Sexual Orientation: People generally consider things that are gender specific. For instance, they prefer to give bedsheets to ladies and bar accessories to men.
- Event: This is one of the most crucial factors to keep in mind when buying a gift for friends. A birthday present normally differs from a wedding anniversary present and as such the occasion affects gifting choice of people.
8. Why do people give presents?
People generally handover presents due to reasons such as:
- To build social bonds as well as showing others that they want to nurture a relationship with them. They think that exchanging gifts is an excellent way to symbolise love and devotion between families.
- To receive something in return
- To help others through charitable giving. Effectively, people give such presents because it makes them feel good.
9. Do children prefer receiving gifts or spending happy time with their parents?
Children nowadays prioritise gifts over spending time with their family. They are under the strong influence of advertisements. As such, they take spending time with their parents for granted and fall prey to the materialistic happiness.
Model Answer 2: Follow ups
|What is the importance of gifts?||Gifts are tokens of adoration. They reinforce obligations of kinship. Gifts cause the recipient to feel a sense of happiness.|
|Is there any pressure on us to buy presents?||Accordingly, there is no stress on us to purchase presents. Yet, now and then when we get expensive presents then there is an obligation to respond likewise. At that point, it might cause pressure. I accept that gifts ought to be simply tokens of affection. Expensive gifts ought not be there. These days, we have a place with a consumerist society. There are such countless selections of gifts. This may appear great to some, however I frequently get confounded with regards to choosing a gift.|
|Do Indian people often give gifts?||Indeed, Indian people like to give gifts. They give gifts on extraordinary events like in relationships, birthday events and commemorations and so forth.|
|What’s the value of giving presents?||Gifts are indeed tokens of affection. They bring joy to the provider just as the beneficiary.|
|Describe some of the gifts that Indian people give each other on different occasions?||Individuals give a wide range of gifts to one another. They give desserts, chocolates, garments, electronic gadgets or gift vouchers to their companions and family members.|
|What kinds of gifts are suitable for friends to give each other?||Friends know one another well, so they can give any suitable gift, which can be helpful to their companion. The gift need not be costly. It ought to be taken as a token of adoration and not for monetary worth.|
|What factors do people consider when buying a gift for friends?||Individuals think about a ton of things when purchasing a present for companions. They think about the companions necessity and they think about their own budget before making any decision.|
|Why do people give presents?||Individuals give presents as gestures of adoration. Presents bring bliss to the beneficiary just as the individual who is giving the present.|
|Do children prefer receiving gifts or spending happy time with their parents?||Kids are extremely innocent. They love getting gifts. They take the cheerful time with their guardians for granted. Thus, they don’t give it much worth over flashy surprises.|
Find the latest Topics here: IELTS Speaking Part-1 Topics (May-Aug 2022)↗
Join our IELTS community: Subscribe our Youtube channel ▷
I hope it gives you a realistic idea on how to carry conversation around Describe a gift you would like to buy for your friend IELTS Cue Card. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during examination, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalize your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !