[Band 9] Describe an interesting thing you have learned from a foreign culture IELTS Cue-Card
Last updated on December 14th, 2022 at 01:18 pm
In Describe an interesting thing you have learned from a foreign culture Cue Card, you should say:
- What it is?
- How did you learn it?
- Why did you learn it?
- Explain how you think it will help others?
Here are the band 9 sample answers to Describe an interesting thing you have learned from a foreign culture IELTS Speaking Cue Card:
Sample Answer 1
Introducing an interesting thing
- Every culture on the planet has something to teach you.
- So today, I’d love to talk about an interesting thing that I’ve learnt from a foreign culture (specifically the Canadian culture).
What it is?
- The thing that I’m referring to is the behavioural change that I felt when I worked for a Canadian based company.
- Your office is like an extended family in Canada. The CEO is similar to a patriarch who looks after his employees.
- At work, Canadians spend a lot of time socialising, creating relationships, helping each other solve difficulties of all kinds, and having fun.
- The company’s purpose is to support the livelihoods of those who work there.
How did you learn it?
- As I told you, I worked as an intern for the company. That’s how I discovered this fascinating fact about a foreign culture.
- As I completed my training, I rapidly became a member of a team. To be honest, it was a major cultural shock for me at first.
- Coming from India, where the emphasis on work is very much on profit maximisation, efficiency and effectiveness, and a singular focus on the task at hand, it has been an absolutely amazing lesson for me that there may be a significantly different attitude to work.
Why did you learn it?
- Since I was now an employee of the company, I had to embrace the behavioural change and learn it.
- Moreover, I thought it would allow me to experience what it’s like to be a part of a foreign community other than my own.
- It has given me much needed cultural awareness and acceptance, which can help break down cultural barriers while interacting with people of different backgrounds.
- I have now adopted this approach on a daily basis and started connecting with people at work more on a personal level.
Explain how you think learning about foreign culture will help others?
- First of all, having a basic understanding of a certain culture can increase their cultural sensitivity. This is a valuable skill not only in the workplace but also in daily life.
- Secondly, learning about other cultures can broaden their horizons. People can absorb new information, and view things from different perspectives.
- Last but not least, people will probably become more open-minded. When they make an effort to understand others, they will find it easier to respect and accept their differences.
- This is how I think knowing about a foreign culture will help others.
Concluding the Cue Card
- Cultural diversity is all about blending various civilizations. Foreign cultures have added diverse flavours to a country’s attractiveness.
- You accept and respect their values while also introducing others to your culture. So, I believe this diversity has an impact on both our conduct and our identity.
- It is important to note that regardless of where we come from, we should treat one another with respect. In this manner, we can build a better atmosphere for our family to thrive.
- To sum up, let us begin to consider the wonderful aspects of foreign cultures and adopt every interesting thing they’ve on offer.
Sample Answer 2
Learning about a foreign culture allows you to appreciate a new place and its people. The celebration of Mother’s Day is an unusual thing I discovered from another culture. Growing up in my nation, there was no official day to recognise mothers’ contributions to the world.
When I was in college, one of my classmates who was studying in London returned home for the summer. We had finally met after a long time, and she told me all about her college and how different the society was there.
One of the things she mentioned was that there was a Mother’s Day event there. Every year on the second Sunday in May, it is observed to honour moms. It is an opportunity for children to express their love and express gratitude to their mothers for everything they have done.
She lives in England with her aunt, and she informed me that on Mother’s Day, her cousins made cards for their mother, served her breakfast in bed, and assisted her with chores all day. Her cousin’s school likewise observed Mother’s Day. That day, they all went out to dinner, and her uncle bought her aunt a beautiful ring.
I wanted to do something special for my mother, so I told my sister about this well-known Western custom. I am really close to my mum and have seen her do so much for my sister and me on a regular basis. She worked full-time, assisted us with our homework, prepared our favourite foods, planned our birthday parties, and cared for us when we were ill.
So spending one day to her felt pretty nice to me, and I started celebrating Mother’s Day every year after that. In the end, I’d merely say that Mother’s Day is an interesting custom I picked up from a different culture.
The probable Describe an interesting thing you have learned from a foreign culture follow up questions that may be asked by the examiner in Speaking Part-3 of the test will be updated soon.
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Describe an interesting thing you have learned from a foreign culture IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during the exam, as it may be used by other readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalise your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !