In Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about IELTS Speaking Cue Card, you should say:
- When did it happen?
- Who was with you?
- What did you do?
- How you felt about it?
Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about IELTS Cue Card
Let’s dive into ‘Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about’ IELTS cue card (2022) with Band 7+ sample answer & Follow up questions:
Model Answer 1
Introducing a time you got lost in a place
- We all have some stories or real life experiences that have the potential to haunt us every now and then.
- Traveling to the Spiti valley and getting lost is one of those dark, challenging moments which I have encountered just recently.
When did it happen?
- It was on August 19th, the day of our climb to the Kanamo Peak at Spiti valley, Himachal Pradesh.
- It might otherwise have been a successful summit climb, but the aftermath was a nightmare.
- Even now when I think about it, I feel shivers run down my spine.
Who was with you?
- I was accompanied by my colleagues on that unfortunate day.
- Actually, We were planning for this daredevil climb since our days of internship (or high school).
- Where our lives were time-starved and activities technology-driven and, let’s be honest, travel allowed us to escape life’s daily demands, dramas and deadlines to clear our minds.
What did you do?
- We started our climb to the mountain with full gusto.
- But on the way, I got separated and as I walked, I realised I was in absolute wilderness.
- After wandering aimlessly for about 3 hours, I saw a flock of Himalayan blue sheep near the river.
- I followed the course of the river and fortunately I reached an old village settlement. Then the villagers guided me towards the base camp.
How you felt about it?
- Frankly speaking, I felt scared!
- Everything was going against me. A small part of me just wanted to give up and remain there.
- But my primal instinct was to survive the weather, survive the terrain and the jungle.
- Somehow, my resolve helped me maintain my calm.
Concluding the cue card
In the end, I would just say that until this day, no one in my family knows that I had almost got lost in the depths of the mountains…and I would prefer to keep it that way.
Model Answer 2
- My brother and I have consistently loved going on travel adventures.
- India is a huge country and there are so many travel hotspots that one can visit.
- In this way, my friends used to take me to unknown places where we explore different cultures.
- One such time, when we were visiting Kerala, we got lost.
- All things considered, we were visiting every one of the popular spots in Kerala and eating out at every one of the eminent spots.
- That is how we used to treat our excursions, particularly the well known food shops, we never missed one in our journey.
- Furthermore, there was this well known Idli-Sambar shop, which was not just renowned in Kerala, in fact across India.
- Sadly, it opened at 5 AM for just two hours toward the beginning of the day and it gets fully sold out in that time.
- To add to it, this spot was around two hours from our inn.
- Thus, we began during the night at 3 AM, on the grounds that both my brother and I would have rather not miss it. After few hours, we figured out we were lost.
- I don’t have the foggiest idea what occurred, yet I think I might have took a wrong turn. These were the times, when google maps weren’t accessible there.
- We couldn’t simply place it in google guides and discover where we were.
- The main ways of being familiar with one’s area and the course was asking individuals and seeing street signs.
- Furthermore it was dull and hazy, so the streets were unfilled and street signs were not apparent.
- At a certain point, my brother just got off the vehicle and attempted to track down any milestone to figure out where we were.
- Thus, we just stayed there, for one more hour for the sun to rise and for the visibility to improve. After a while, certain individuals emerged on the streets for morning walk lastly we had the option to discover where we were.
- Luckily, we weren’t a long way from the shop.
- We had quite recently crossed it en route unintentionally.
- We returned and partook in the tasty Idli-Sambar.
- To portray their taste – I would simply say it merited getting lost.
- Indeed, even presently, when I intend to visit Kerala, I generally visit that spot.
- Also Read: Describe a family member whom you would like to work with in future
- Also Read: Talk about an important river/lake in your country
IELTS Speaking Part-3 questions that could be asked in Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about follow ups:
- Do you often get lost?
- Is map-reading skill important?
- Why some people like travelling to other places?
- Should they find information about the place before going there?
1. Do you often get lost?
I don’t really get lost too frequently. Most of the time, I use Google maps to find a secure path whenever I tread onto some unfamiliar track. But, you know..the internet is grappled with limitations, so I ask local people for directions when the internet malfunctions.
2. Is map-reading skill important?
I think map reading and map drawing are two quintessential skills to learn in life.
- Through map reading, we are able to develop a spatial thinking by visualizing where objects, places, cities, and countries are in relation to one another.
- Some may think maps are unnecessary and complicated tools, but in reality, maps simplify our life. For instance, If there’s flooding near you, you’ll need to know how to get to the closest high elevation; your map reading skill may actually save your life in such a case.
3. Why some people like travelling to other places?
Some people go off or travel around in search of amusement, fun and learning. They like to see beautiful places, explore cultures and cuisines. Personally, globetrotters like me feel that travel is the best way to immerse yourself in geography, history, culture, gastronomy, languages, biology … you name it & travel has it.
4. Should they find information about the place before going there?
It’s definitely worth to check the weather conditions, surroundings and know some basic language skills before moving to some uncharted territory. Knowing a local dialect helps in better community engagement.
Other ways to answer Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about Follow ups:
|1. Do you often get lost?||No, I don’t frequently get lost. These days applications like Google Maps have made it exceptionally simple and individuals who utilize such applications only from time to time get lost.|
|2. Is map-reading skill important?||Indeed, map reading abilities are significant in light of the fact that it gives you a thought regarding where you are and you don’t get lost. These days, applications, for example, Google Maps have caused things simpler and even individuals who don’t have the ability of reading a tour guide get lost.|
|3. Why some people like travelling to other places?||Certain individuals like to head out to different spots since they need to be aware of those spots and the way of life of those spots. They are brave naturally and are interested to get familiar with other people and places.|
|4. Should they find information about the place before going there?||Indeed most certainly, they should track down data about the spot prior to going there. It is significant in light of the fact that, for instance, in the event that they know the climate of that spot, they can pack the garments as needs be. They can be completely ready with regards to what to carry with them assuming they know what everything they could do there.|
FREE STUDY MATERIAL TO ACHIEVE BAND 7+ IN IELTS:
I hope it gives you some realistic idea on how to carry a conversation around Describe a time you got lost in a place you didn’t know about IELTS Cue card topic. However, it is strongly advised not to reproduce the same answer during the exam, as it may be used by many of our readers on the site. You should rather reformulate and personalise your answer.
If you still have any doubts, post them in the comments.
ALL THE BEST !